Sunday, May 3, 2009

I love colouring in! What do you love?

I've been trying to think outside the square of late about very simple things that give me joy.

I have always loved colour. I am very good with colour - mixing paints, picking thread etc. I was preparing for a short trip and buying supplies from the supermarket - while walking through the "party" aisle the children's books caught my eye. I decided to splash out - for a whole $2.93 I bought myself a sea creatures colouring-in book and 50c packet of textas. My inner child was very excited. I spent a large part of the next week, when I needed some happy, quiet time, colouring in piano-playing octopus, mermaids facing-off against sharks, and goofy Nemo-style fish with cheesy smiles. It gave me great joy... and I also found it a very easy way to switch off my super-busy mind.

I think it is easy as adults to get carried away with the mind and loose touch with our hearts. Is there something you love, some simple, "unproductive", even silly thing, that you never give yourself permission to do?

IF YOU THOUGHT THIS WAS INTERESTING YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO READ:
Finding joy in each day
Are you more generous when you're hungry?

2 comments:

  1. I love the thought of you sitting there with a coloring in book filled with Sea Critters, I can see it. I pick up my guitar, that puts me where I like to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My inner child is ready to bust out...I have the kids this weekend so I am gonna do something silly and senseless with them. Thanks for the inspiration. I wrote a blog today on why people fail to set goals and it is because as a child they usually get all imagination knocked out of them. Viva La Inner Child!!

    ReplyDelete